[Rubygems-developers] Installing startup scripthat

Wes Sheldahl wes.sheldahl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 12:31:18 EDT 2007

On 6/18/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2007, at 08:10, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> > On 2007-06-17 00:33:02 +0200, Uwe Kubosch wrote:
> >> I have made a gem with an executable, and I would like to start a
> >> daemon
> >> at boot using /etc/init.d/<my script>
> >>
> >> What is the best way to install such a file?
> >>
> >> I would like update and uninstall to update and remove the file also.
> >>
> >> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > i would only provide it as sample script in your gem directory. the
> > differences between various operating system/linux distros/init
> > systems
> > are too big.
> Agreed.  For ar_mailer, I have a *BSD rc.d script in share/, and a
> note in the readme about where to find it.

Right. From that point, an OS specific package (like an rpm, .deb package or
*BSD port) could add a post-install script to either just copy the provided
script to /etc/init.d (or wherever), or add its own startup script and copy
that to the right location. That would need to be up to whoever is making
the RPM or whatever. If that packager doesn't do anything extra, then users
just need to read the README and install it themselves.

Wes Sheldahl
wes.sheldahl at gmail.com