[Rubygems-developers] gem install and gem uninstall missing --install-dir

Jim Weirich jim.weirich at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 22:08:25 EDT 2007

On Jun 12, 2007, at 10:38 AM, Todd Fisher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> gem install has the --install-dir flag, but uninstall does not.
> This means if I wanted to create a gem repository in a non-standard
> directory such as /opt/gems  I can not uninstall gems from that
> alternate folder.

Have you tried this?  What /should/ happen is that RubyGems detects
the gem in the gem path and uninstalls it from there.  I don't think
we should need a the equivalend of the --install-dir flag for uninstall.

If it is not working as described, then please do file a bug report
as Eric has suggested.

> Trying to set the GEM_HOME to an empty gem folder causes the gem
> command to fail with this stack trace.

Yep, this one sounds like a real bug (and should be filed).

Thanks for the feedback.

-- Jim Weirich