[Rubygems-developers] Installing Rubygems in User's Local Directory to fix Gem on Memory-Limited Systems

Nic Williams drnicwilliams at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 15:26:23 EDT 2007

And for other gems, choose a "vendor everything" strategy - such as the list
given here - http://errtheblog.com/post/2120

On 6/8/07, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby at zenspider.com> wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2007, at 10:53 , Randy Parker wrote:
> > The Joyent / Textdrive shared host "kientz" is supposed to restrict
> > memory in my Solaris container to 100MB.  It looks like that is not
> > enough to use gem.
> >
> > My other shared hosting accounts are Textdrive's FreeBSD,
> > restricted to 48MB, and Site5's Linux, restricted to 50MB.  I think
> > it is safe to assume that they will continue to fail with
> > as well.
> Maybe it is me, but I'm not sure this is a problem with rubygems. I
> don't feel it is trying to be a works-everywhere type of platform.
> These TxD slices you're using have less RAM than most cell phones
> these days. No really. It'll be hard for you to run a rails app on
> them regardless.
> That said, I think you're looking at the problem incorrectly. You're
> not supposed to DO anything on those slices. They're too thin to be
> practical for much of anything but a single task. In your case, you
> should be rsyncing in a rails app directory that includes vendor/
> rails and all the gems it would be using frozen in vendor as well
> (see rake rails:freeze:gems and other solutions in various blogs).
> You should be 100% self-reliant and self-contained. As I understand
> it, the latest capistrano can deploy via rsync.

Dr Nic Williams
http://drnicacademy.com - Ruby/Rails training around the world
http://www.drnicwilliams.com - Ruby/Rails/Javascript/Web2.0
skype: nicwilliams
(p) +61 7 3102 3237 (Finds me anywhere in the world, via Skype)
(m) +4673 681 5093 (Swedish mobile)
(f) +61 7 3305 7572 (sends fax to my email)
Björnsonsgatan 153, 16 844 Bromma, Sweden