[Rubygems-developers] gem update --system, heavy ram and cpu consumption

Jim Freeze rubygems at freeze.org
Sat Jun 2 08:59:41 EDT 2007

On Jun 1, 2007, at 11:35 PM, Jim Weirich wrote:

> On 6/1/07, Jos Backus <jos at catnook.com> wrote:
>> This is like xcopy with rsync-like options processing. You want (a
>> Ruby
>> version of) Pysync instead:
>>
>>     http://freshmeat.net/projects/pysync/
>
> Can someone educate me on the advantages of rsync?

rsync is not nearly as well known and used at it should be.
IMO, it could essentially replace cp and scp.

Rsync does a fast hash on small sections of a file to test for changes
and only copies the sections of a file that have changed.

So, if you had a 100MB binary file on two computers and changed
only 100 bytes on one of them (in the middle of the file), rsync would
be able to transfer that 100 bytes, and some additional overhead, to
synchronize the files. It would not have to transfer the 100MB.

Also, it has multiple options, like compression and BW limiting to
support slow pipes.

Once you start using rsync, you wonder how you ever got along without
it. :)

Jim