[Rubygems-developers] New Beta Gem with Better Memory Footprint (was: Bulk updates)

Matt Mower self at mattmower.com
Fri Jun 1 17:33:09 EDT 2007

On 01/06/07, Jim Weirich <jim at weirichhouse.org> wrote:
> I have one more idea on memory footprint issues, but would like to get
> reports back on the beta before proceeding.

I updated to 0.9.4.1 on my 96mb VPS and tried using 'gem update' again.

It began a bulk update but the ruby process quickly hit 75mb RSS and
then appeared to descend into swap-death as before.

Then I ran an incremental update using -B. It updated about 6,600 gems
and, as you expected, it was pretty slow. Nevertheless the process
grew very slowly from 15 to about 28mb and completed successfully this
time!

I'm grateful to you and Ryan both for the effort you are putting into
this problem.

Regards,

Matt

--