[Rubygems-developers] gem update --system, heavy ram and cpu consumption

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 15:42:35 EDT 2007

On 6/1/07, Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter at sun.com> wrote:
> Jim Weirich wrote:

> >> How crazy would it be to incorporate librsync into ruby and/or rubygems?
> >
> > I don't know how crazy.  Is it commonly available (on all platforms)?
> It's not available on windows without some user intervention, but of
> course if it were shipped with Ruby that may resolve that.
> Either way, we'd need to find some library to wrap in JRuby. I'm sure
> there's several rsync libs out there, but it's a bit of hassle (and
> another dependency).

It's not on Solaris 10, either, though there's a Blastwave package for it.

I looked on CPAN for a pure Perl version, but all I could find were
command line wrappers. On the Python front I did come across this:

I don't know Python very well, however, so if there's an ex-pythonista
out there who's willing to give porting that a shot, it could prove to
be very handy. :)