[Rubygems-developers] improving gems bin scripts on windows

Gordon Thiesfeld gthiesfeld at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 13:44:09 EDT 2007

> > Could you write a patch for us?

I've written the patch, and I've been using it for a few days now.  I
think I've figured out why the batch files are used.  Everything works
fine if you call the ruby file directly, but if you try to pipe
something to it, it raises an exception "Bad file descriptor
(Errno::EBADF)".  The original method of using batch files works fine
with the pipe operator.

I found this thread on ruby-talk[1] as well as several other threads
for python that say this is a bug with the pipe operator in windows.

So, I guess this isn't going to work.  Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Thanks,

Gordon

[1]: http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/193379