[Rubygems-developers] Platform selection in gem install

Alexey Verkhovsky alexey.verkhovsky at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 18:18:24 EDT 2007

Posting back to the list, hence the extensive quoting below.

On 7/25/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2007, at 14:55, Alexey Verkhovsky wrote:
> > On 7/25/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> >> Ok.  If you don't mind, I'll add the feature in the next week or two.
> >
> > No objections whatsoever. :)
> >
> > By the way, I have couple other wishes from our work on RubyWorks
> > stack. We have to have our own gem repository there, and treat
> > RuibyForge as an untrusted source):
>
> > 1. Get rid of sources.gem
>
> Maybe a hybrid approach?  A sources .gem and a default fallback to
> gems.rubyforge.org if the sources gem isn't installed?
> There's some anti-foot-shooting code that's wrapped up in there too,
> and I don't want people to shoot themselves in the foot.

Silently defaulting to gems.rubyforge.org is OK. Configuring gem
sources by installing a gem package, on the other hand, is a tad too
hard to explain to a regular sysadmin, in my experience.

I'd rather manage package sources by editing /etc/rubygems configuration file.

Or, if we were to borrow a page from yum, by adding/deleting .repo
files in /etc/rubygems/sources.d/ directory, but this may be too
fancy. Yum does it this way so that a repository metadata can be a
standalone file.

--
Alex