[Rubygems-developers] Upgrading to new version of Ruby - what to do with gems?

Wes Gamble weyus at att.net
Wed Jul 25 18:12:45 EDT 2007

Sorry, when I said "gems location," I meant the gems directory embedded
in the Ruby installation directory.

My gem repository is in C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems which is under my
RUBY_HOME (C:\ruby).

I plan to install Ruby to a new directory.  When I do that, obviously I
won't have access to my existing gems.

Should I use GEM_HOME to move my gems to a "Ruby installation
independent" location and then I should be able to see them from my new
install, or do I need to copy my gems into my new Ruby installation?

WG