[Rubygems-developers] improving gems bin scripts on windows

Gordon Thiesfeld gthiesfeld at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 16:49:16 EDT 2007

I've been kicking this idea around for a while now, so I thought I'd get
everyone's opinion on it.
If it isn't a new idea, I apologize.  Google didn't find anything on this
mailing list.

When you install a gem on windows, it creates two files in the bin dir, the
bin script, and a .cmd file.  The problem with this is when you try to exit
out of some of these scripts, you get  this message "Terminate batch job
(Y/N)?".

In the more recent versions of the one-click installer, the .rb and .rbw
extension gets added to the PATHEXT environment variable (I believe), so
windows will run these files if you type the name minus the extension.  For
instance, a file named chunky_bacon.rb will be executed by typing
chunky_bacon.

So, instead of creating two files in the bin dir - one without an extension,
the other with a .cmd extension, I wonder if it would be better to create a
single .rb file?  The end result is fewer files in the bin directory, and
not having to mess with the annoyances that the batch files cause.

Thanks,

Gordon