[Rubygems-developers] Any experiences managing gems without root access?

Wes Sheldahl wes.sheldahl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 12:22:39 EDT 2007

On 7/24/07, Chad Woolley <thewoolleyman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have any scripts/guidelines/suggestions for using groups,
> set-groupID permissions, and/or umasks to avoid needing root access to
> install/update gems?  Specifically, how to manage binaries installed
> in /usr/local/bin?
>
> Has anyone even tried this, or does everyone do it via manually via
> sudo (or automate via NOPASSWD entries in sudoers)?
>
> Thanks,
> --Chad W

I've always just used sudo for installing gems. Does this mean you found a
way to have a gem install its binary in /usr/local/bin? I've never been able
to control any of the install locations.

If the gem is going to be used system-wide, it makes sense to restrict that
to root. For user-specific gems, it might be nice to be able to install to
~/lib/gems, ~/bin etc.

--
Wes Sheldahl