[Rubygems-developers] Recovery needed from power outage during gem install????

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 10:41:26 EDT 2007

On 7/20/07, Hugh Sasse <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Rick DeNatale wrote:
>
> > Anyway, after power became stable I tried installing again and it
> > looks like gem install is trying to install from a partially
> > downloaded gem.  There's no indication of going to fetch anything
>         [...]
> > $ sudo gem install god
> > Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
> > ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
> >     ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> Yep, nothing remotely remote there, AFAICS...
> >
> > Gem files will remain installed in
> > /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/god-0.2.0 for inspection.
>
> I'd try removing that and anything claiming to be god in the cache
> directory.  Then you should be able to have a clean start.  [And put
> in a capital equipment bid for an uninterruptible power supply?]
>
> Might be a bit drastic, but it's probably quicker than other methods.
> Unless you only have a 2400 baud modem for internet access....
>
> Or you could wait for someone who's more familiar with the internals
> than I am.

Upon further investigation, I don't think that this is a gem issue
after all.  Turns out that god plays favorites, it looks like it's
only built and tested against redhat linux, and I'm on ubuntu.  It's
complaining about some missing .h files  I've tried tracking them down
and installing the debian packages which include them, but I'm still
not getting very far.

I'll move this over to ruby-talk since it seems to have more to do
with this particular deity^h^h^h^h^hgem than the gem infrastructure.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/