[Rubygems-developers] Recovery needed from power outage during gem install????

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Fri Jul 20 09:46:12 EDT 2007

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> Anyway, after power became stable I tried installing again and it
> looks like gem install is trying to install from a partially
> downloaded gem.  There's no indication of going to fetch anything
        [...]
> $ sudo gem install god
> Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
>     ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

Yep, nothing remotely remote there, AFAICS...

> Gem files will remain installed in
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/god-0.2.0 for inspection.

I'd try removing that and anything claiming to be god in the cache
directory.  Then you should be able to have a clean start.  [And put
in a capital equipment bid for an uninterruptible power supply?]

Might be a bit drastic, but it's probably quicker than other methods.
Unless you only have a 2400 baud modem for internet access....

Or you could wait for someone who's more familiar with the internals
than I am.

        Hugh