[Rubygems-developers] Installing Gems on Windows

Gregory Brown gregory.t.brown at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 11:53:15 EDT 2007

On 7/12/07, Curt Hibbs <curt.hibbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/12/07, Brian Hogan <bphogan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Curt:
> >
> > I was wondering if you'd be interested in including a small .bat I wrote
> in the One Click Ruby Installer. It makes gem installation easier for
> newbies on Windows.  Take a look at my blog posting at
> http://www.napcsweb.com/blog/2007/07/12/making-it-easier-to-install-gems-on-windows/
> and let me know what you think. It wouldn't replace the regular method, but
> it can be a time saver.
> >
> I like it!
> In fact, I wonder if (at least on Windows) there is a decent way to really
> make this the default and actually replace the normal gem install method
> (with an override option of course). This would follow the Rails philosophy
> of using intelligent defaults with overrides when needed.
> I cc'd the RubyGems developers on this to get their thoughts.

Oh, I don't know.  I like the idea of having the script around, but
changing the way the gem command works just within the one click
installer feels a little itchy to me.  Until we have a real solution
in RubyGems, I'd rather *know* I'm using a third party helper than
find it surprising if I ever need to install gems anywhere but

But the script is a great idea, if only to help keep non-programmer
clients of mine from getting themselves into trouble when installing
dependencies on Windows. :)