[Rubygems-developers] Swap library directory of some gem to development source tree

Jim Weirich jim.weirich at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 09:57:59 EDT 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Anatol Pomozov wrote:

[...]
> But I constantly develop this project and after change in buildr
> sources I want to check how it works. To it I need to install build
> and install gem again. It is 3 quite long steps. I would like to
> avoid it.
>
> What I want is that gem pickup sources of some gem from directory
> not from gem library directory. Is it possible??
[... GEM_SKIP elided ...]

> What is the correct way of doing such thing??

All you need to do is arrange that the development directories appear
on the Ruby Load path.  Then rubygems will never kick in and activate
the gem installed versions.  Generally, I do this from the project root:

    ruby -Ilib test/test_something.rb

(Actually, Rake does it, but you get the idea).

--
-- Jim Weirich
-- jim at weirichhouse.org