[Rubygems-developers] Swap library directory of some gem to development source tree

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 09:50:39 EDT 2007

Hi devs.

I am working on some project, lets say buildr
<http://buildr.rubyforge.org>and I want to to use latest unreleased
version. What I am doing now

cd buildr-from-svn
rake gem
gem install pkg/buildr-1.2.1.gem

So unreleased version of buildr gem installs on my machine. It is what I
But I constantly develop this project and after change in buildr sources I
want to check how it works. To it I need to install build and install gem
again. It is 3 quite long steps. I would like to avoid it.

What I want is that gem pickup sources of some gem from directory not from
gem library directory. Is it possible??

Running through rubygems sources I've found GEM_SKIP mention. And tried to
use it like

set GEM_SKIP=buildr
ruby -I path/to/svn/dir c:/progra~1/ruby/bin/buildr

I've thought that rubygems would drop buildr libs directory from load path
and adds mine, but it doesn't. Instead I've got Gem::LoadError.

What is the correct way of doing such thing??

If I use linux on my machine I would have quick-and-dirty solution - link
from /path/to/svn/dir to /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/buildr-xxx
But what to do on Windows?