[Rubygems-developers] Repackaging a Gem for other Package Managers (e.g. RPM, deb, conary, etc.)

Jonathan Weiss jw at innerewut.de
Thu Jan 25 03:27:25 EST 2007

Cheers,

> Anyways, please let me know! (Hopefully this is not TL;DR fodder.)

I tried the same thing for FreeBSD and because of the issues that
Mauricio Fernandez and because of the additional complexity of gems that
include C-extension I came up with a very simple solutions that works
quite well for FreeBSD.

Just wrap around gem install/uninstall.

This way users can still use the OS package manager to install/update
gems and you avoid all problems that reside out of unpacking a gem and
installing it by hand.

> Best regards,
> Scott

Jonathan