[Rubygems-developers] where does persistent data go in a gem?

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 13:19:37 EST 2007

In general, I'd say to create a directory  in the user's home
directory (possibly starting with a dot and hidden, or maybe not).
The user's home dir and /tmp are really the only places you can count
on having write access, and /tmp is out because it's likely to go away
on reboot.

Make sure it's descriptively named (probably containing your gem
name), so the user knows what it is when they see a new directory they
don't recognize in their home dir.

-- Chad