[Rubygems-developers] where does persistent data go in a gem?

Jeremy Stell-Smith jeremystellsmith at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 11:59:41 EST 2007

I have a little continuous integration server that I want to release as a
gem.  It's a rails app that looks at a folder instead of a db.  It all works
rather well, except I'm not sure where this folder should live.

Assumptions right now are :
1) the application runs in it's entirety from it's gem home
2) there's a "cruise" executable that is accessibly from anywhere to do
"cruise start", "cruise add_project", etc
3) it prompts the user for where to put place it's build directory on it's
first install and subsequent updates.

1 & 2 make sense, but 3 kind of sucks.  a user could care less where this
stuff lives, and even if they do, they want to specify it once, not on every
install, what if they don't remember where it lives?

I guess this is a problem others have faced and solved.  What's the
conventional wisdom about where to put these types of things?

Jeremy