[Rubygems-developers] rubygems' cooperation with linux distributions?

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Mon Jan 22 11:54:22 EST 2007

On 1/22/07, Marcus Rueckert <darix at web.de> wrote:
> On 2007-01-22 22:09:38 +0700, Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy wrote:
> > On 1/22/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> > > mkmf.rb (which is required by extconf.rb) is the place to look to see
> > > if you can override Config::CONFIG['INSTALL'], perhaps with an
> > > environment variable.  It should get passed straight from the gem
> > > install command down to the extconf.rb in a subshell.  If not, please
> > > file a bug on our tracker.
> > >

> > I have looked at it again. Environment variables do not have any
> > effect on it. Patching mkmf.rb is not an option to me because then I
> > have to rebuild ruby. However I think maybe I can make a wrapper for
> > mkmf.rb. Thanks for the idea.
> >
> > Anyway I still want ability to patch a gem package :) (for more
> > difficult cases, I can search bugs.gentoo.org for those if you want
> > examples)
> it might be just me ... but fixing the broken mkmf.rb will help with
> building normal ruby extensions aswell. gem is just another case.
> do you really prefer patching every single ruby extension instead of one
> rebuild of the ruby base package?
> it might be just me ... but that feels stupid.

I agree with your take on this.  Perhaps providing a hook to patch
gems is a good thing, but to me this particular problem is a clear cut
case of a potential mkmf enhancement---not a patch for gentoo but a
patch to be contributed to mkmf in the standard Ruby distribution.

As a side note, it would be great to see mkmf chucked out altogether
and replace by Rake + mkrf.  Maybe that's just me, though.