[Rubygems-developers] rubygems' cooperation with linux distributions?

Marcus Rueckert darix at web.de
Mon Jan 22 11:04:45 EST 2007

On 2007-01-22 22:09:38 +0700, Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy wrote:
> On 1/22/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> > mkmf.rb (which is required by extconf.rb) is the place to look to see
> > if you can override Config::CONFIG['INSTALL'], perhaps with an
> > environment variable.  It should get passed straight from the gem
> > install command down to the extconf.rb in a subshell.  If not, please
> > file a bug on our tracker.
> >

> I have looked at it again. Environment variables do not have any
> effect on it. Patching mkmf.rb is not an option to me because then I
> have to rebuild ruby. However I think maybe I can make a wrapper for
> mkmf.rb. Thanks for the idea.
>
> Anyway I still want ability to patch a gem package :) (for more
> difficult cases, I can search bugs.gentoo.org for those if you want
> examples)

it might be just me ... but fixing the broken mkmf.rb will help with
building normal ruby extensions aswell. gem is just another case.

do you really prefer patching every single ruby extension instead of one
rebuild of the ruby base package?

it might be just me ... but that feels stupid.

    darix

--
           openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux
               openSUSE is good for you