[Rubygems-developers] rubygems' cooperation with linux distributions?

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy pclouds at gentoo.org
Mon Jan 22 02:12:39 EST 2007

On 1/22/07, Jim Weirich <jim at weirichhouse.org> wrote:
> Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy wrote:
>  > rubygems' related problems happened again in Gentoo land [1]. In
>  > short, I need to intervene gem building process to patch ruby
>  > extension building. Currently there is no non-hacky way to patch a gem
>  > package as far as I know. If you know some ways, please kindly teach
>  > me.
>
> Hi.  Thanks for posting on this list.  However, I'm not sure I'm sure
> what you are asking for.  The location of the install program is not
> specified in RubyGems in any way.  Are you asking for a easy RubyGems
> way of fixing this more general problem.  If so, perhaps you could be
> more specific on what you would like to see changed.

My intention for fixing that particular bug is to patch Makefile
generated by extconf.rb and friends. But I found no way to do that
because rubygems unpacks, compiles and installs in one step. If I can
hook into Gem::Installer#install, then I can patch Makefile.

The ideal solution for Gentoo is being able to call
Gem::Installer#extract_files, #generate_bin, #build_extensions,
#build_support_directories separately. Gentoo build process is divided
into several bash functions, namely src_unpack, src_compile, src_test,
pkg_install (called in that order). So src_unpack would run
Gem::Installer#install from beginning to extract_files line.
src_compile will run the rest of Gem::Installer#install, src_test run
tests if necessary, and pkg_install may do some post-processing.
--
Duy