[Rubygems-developers] How do you indicate a post-1.0 release candidate gem version?

TRANS transfire at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 17:34:11 EST 2007

On 1/15/07, Chad Woolley <thewoolleyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> There's an interesting thread on the Mongrel Users list, where a
> Debian package manager is asking questions about RubyGem's versioning
> standards.
> Here's my last post which I think summarizes most of it:
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/mongrel-users/2007-January/002694.html
> Basically, the question is - how do you specify a release candidate
> version for a version that is post 1.0?  Specifically, if people are
> automatically pulling all the latest version of a gem (">= 1.0.0"),
> how can they say "I ONLY want stable releases, not alpha versions or
> release candidates"?  Does RubyGems support any version numbering (or
> version specifications) other than the "[(in)equality operator]
> x[.y.z]" pattern, where x, y, and z are numeric?  If not, is this an
> unnecessary limitation?  What are workarounds?

I've wondered about this too. One idea that occured to me was to
prefix a "0." to the version. Eg. is a work in progress
release for 1.2. (Obvioulsy this means not using 0.x releases for
anything else.)

It's a workable solution, but I've never bothered myself. I figure
"fixed" versions are a bit overrated anyway. By the time many people
are aware of 1.2 your on to 1.2.1. So in a sense every release is a
release candiate for the next version.