[Rubygems-developers] Gemtacular Now Links to RDocs

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Thu Jan 18 14:11:50 EST 2007

On 1/18/07, Hugh Sasse <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Chad Fowler wrote:

> > > Then there has to be a way to dictate proper generation doesn't there?
> > > It's going awefully far to designate something an "edge case" b/c it
> > > doesn't conform to RDoc documentation. What if someone wants to use a
> > > different doc system... What if someone writes a program in such a way
> > > that RDoc can't even handle it well --that's rather easy actually.
> > >

> > What if someone wanted to not use Ruby at all?
> :-) Should I hold your coat? :-)
> There is a way to declare what rdoc options to use, which would
> determine better generation, but it might be possible to tell it
> to use something other than rdoc, and use the options for that.
> Or the rdoc options could he kept for if/when rdoc is used, and
> since this is YAML one could have an array of alternative doc systems
> and a corresponding array of of options.  Or maybe a hash.
> I'm not sure that one can assert YAGNI in this case: we live in a
> world with LaTeX, Lout and DocBook.

I guess I disagree.  We can assert YAGNI for RubyGems doc generation.
If someone wants to do LaTex, that's fine.  They can create another
mechanism with which to do it.  I don't think we have to extend
RubyGems to allow for (or even encourage) divergent documentation
systems.  We certainly don't prevent them.

> On the gems homepage should there not be a link to Gemtacular, now
> that it has been blessed (erm, not in the Perl sense...)?

Yea.  It will become the RubyGems.org home page soon.