[Rubygems-developers] Need to release 0.9.1 due to security exploit

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Wed Jan 17 21:36:47 EST 2007

Your message is lengthy, so forgive me if I trim too vigorously.

On Jan 17, 2007, at 16:44, Paul Duncan wrote:
> Unfortunately, the actual crypto isn't the hard part.
> The hard part is getting developers to adopt it.  I feel like the
> documentation is adequate, and I also posted an entry on my web site
> that has a relatively automagic gem signing blurb that can be dropped
> into a Rakefile or Gem specification.  Here it is:
>   http://pablotron.org/?cid=1510
>   (Ignore the first paragraph about the Rake patch and skip to the
> later
>   bit about gem signing).

Rake::PackageTask and Hoe are your vectors here.  If the change is
that small, I can put it into Hoe.

Actually, why can't RubyGems just look in ~/.gemrc for these things?
Makes for one less step, and will work right around PackageTask and Hoe.

> Another "hard" aspect is trust (I alluded to this in the paragraph you
> quoted above).  Specifically, how can a user be sure a particular
> certificate (or public key) is associated with the author of a given
> gem?
> So, in order for a RubyGems end user to "trust" a package, we need
> either an established X.509 PKI trust hierarchy (including pre-
> packaged,
> root issuing certificates, some sort of security policy, and
> preferrably
> a CRL distribution point and OCSP responder as well) or a bridge to
> PGP's web of trust.

I think you're the expert here, how do we get any of this going?
Which is best?