[Rubygems-developers] How do you indicate a post-1.0 release candidate gem version?

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 12:10:25 EST 2007

There's an interesting thread on the Mongrel Users list, where a
Debian package manager is asking questions about RubyGem's versioning

Here's my last post which I think summarizes most of it:

Basically, the question is - how do you specify a release candidate
version for a version that is post 1.0?  Specifically, if people are
automatically pulling all the latest version of a gem (">= 1.0.0"),
how can they say "I ONLY want stable releases, not alpha versions or
release candidates"?  Does RubyGems support any version numbering (or
version specifications) other than the "[(in)equality operator]
x[.y.z]" pattern, where x, y, and z are numeric?  If not, is this an
unnecessary limitation?  What are workarounds?

-- Chad