[Rubygems-developers] Gemtacular Now in RubyForge Subversion

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Thu Jan 11 11:46:13 EST 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Anthony Eden wrote:

> Some examples:
>  Notification when a particular gem is released
> Thinking a little more about it, though, we could just as easily make
> all pages support RSS and then people can get their notification fix
> that way, which may be a better solution anyhow. Thoughts?

Yes, RSS is the way to go for this.  However, I wish to raise the
point that the Ruby net/HTTP class doesn't support content encoding
transparently yet:
so that the compression of RSS feeds to spare the bandwidth won't
work yet.

See also

I don't really know a good way to add this cleanly to the interface
we already have: if someone adds these headers by hand to the request
and ruby unpacks them they won't get what they expect.