[Rubygems-developers] Gemtacular Now in RubyForge Subversion

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Thu Jan 11 11:46:13 EST 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Anthony Eden wrote:

> Some examples:
>
>  Notification when a particular gem is released
        [...]
> Thinking a little more about it, though, we could just as easily make
> all pages support RSS and then people can get their notification fix
> that way, which may be a better solution anyhow. Thoughts?

Yes, RSS is the way to go for this.  However, I wish to raise the
point that the Ruby net/HTTP class doesn't support content encoding
transparently yet:
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec3.html#sec3.5
so that the compression of RSS feeds to spare the bandwidth won't
work yet.

See also
http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/07/30/31OPconnection_1.html

I don't really know a good way to add this cleanly to the interface
we already have: if someone adds these headers by hand to the request
and ruby unpacks them they won't get what they expect.

> V/r
> Anthony

        Hugh