[Rubygems-developers] Gemtacular.com

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Mon Jan 8 16:11:10 EST 2007

On 1/3/07, Anthony Eden <anthonyeden at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/3/07, Chad Fowler <chad at chadfowler.com> wrote:
> > On 1/3/07, Anthony Eden <anthonyeden at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On 1/3/07, Chad Fowler <chad at chadfowler.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > [snip]

> > > Sure, I'd be happy to collaborate on it. Let me know what you have in mind.
> > >
> > > V/r
> > > Anthony
> > >

> > I was thinking we could deploy this on rubygems.org and maybe open up
> > the source for a few collaborators.  In particular, Bruce Williams who
> > does the Ruby Central design work might be persuaded to skin the app a
> > bit.
> >
> > Chad
>
> Right now I have it deployed on my server with mongrel cluster and
> Apache 2.2. Do we have access to the same setup on rubygems.org or
> would it be a different deployment environment? Also would I be able
> to use capistrano to do updates? Also, I suppose I would need to
> include links to the existing documentation as well since it would be
> replacing that homepage - what else would have to be included in order
> to replace the current rubyforge.org homepage?

Sorry for going silent for a few days.

I have the same setup exactly, so things should be easy.

> One option as an alternative to deploying it to the actual
> rubyforge.org hardware would be to just CNAME a third-level under
> rubyforge.org until it is ready for final release.

Let's do it with a CNAME to get things started.  Wanna start with
gemtacular.rubygems.org?  I'll set it up to point to your IP if so.

> Regarding opening the source to some collaborators, that wouldn't be a
> problem. I have it hosted on my subversion repo so I would just need
> to set up some accounts for whomever would be involved.
>
> Let me know what you would like to do and we'll make it happen.

Let us know when you have the RubyForge stuff ready and we'll start
pitching in.  I know Bruce Williams had some UI stuff already laid out
that would be a nice addition in the short term.

Chad