[Rubygems-developers] Problem with 0.9.0.9

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Sun Jan 7 20:35:49 EST 2007

On Jan 7, 2007, at 17:17, Jim Freeze wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2007, at 7:09 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:
>
>> What is the output of `sudo gem sources`?
>>
>> Can you send the contents of /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/
>> source_cache?
>>
>> Can you then try deleteing the file and trying again?
>
> BTW, I have done several ruby installations in the last few days,
> and my process goes like this (psuedo code):
>
> download ruby && tar xzvf ruby...
> cd ruby..
> ./configure && make && make install
> wget rubygems
> tar xzvf rubygems
> cd rubygems
> ruby setup.rb
> gem update --system
> gem install rake
>   ... blah - fails
> rm source_cache
> gem install rake
>   all works fine.
>
> This has happened on all 3 of the installs I did this week.
>
> Is there a problem with the above process, or is this a bug?

Its a bug somewhere, but where exactly is uncertain still.

Did source_cache already exist, or were these systems virgin?

There have been problems with source_cache being hosed since RubyGems
0.9.0, but I'm unsure if that's due to RubyGems changes or Ruby
changes.  I'm trying to collect corrupt source_cache files to
reproduce the problem.

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!