[Rubygems-developers] Gemtacular.com

Anthony Eden anthonyeden at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 15:32:41 EST 2007

On 1/4/07, Hugh Sasse <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Anthony Eden wrote:
> > Hey all, I've just put up the first release of a site I created called
> > http://gemtacular.com/ . Currently it updates once every hour and
> > grabs the latest rubyforge rubygems.yaml file, brings it into a
> > database and then makes it searchable, makes Gems rateable, sorts by
> > most recent, most popular and by name.
> Given the rave reviews I've got round to looking at this.
> I'm impressed: useful functionality, very accessible.
> If I were to make any changes to the style I'd only change the
> light grey to white to improve contrast, and increase the size
> of the small text (rated, date).

Thanks for the feedback. I've removed the font size setting on those
two elements so it will use your browser's default size. I've also
lightened the gray background (not completely white, but almost).

> So the next thing I did was play with the search:
> I put in text and got a number of entries, the first of which was
> called Text. It has a description: "A collection of text algorithms".
> So I click on the link and get:
> Text
> http://text.rubyforge.org/
> 0.0/5 Stars
>     * Currently 0.0/5 Stars.
> Log in to rate.
> OK, so I click on that URL...and remain on the same page.
> Also, I'd have expected that page (http://gemtacular.com/gems/Text)
> to have the description on it, but it doesn't seem to .

There was a bug, but now it's fixed. That homepage link should
actually go to the homepage provided by the Gem. As for the
description, it should be there but not all gems provide a
description. I've modified it so it will show the summary if the
description is empty.

> It might be useful to give some stats for the rating, since there
> are only 6 possible ratings maybe a barchart would be a good way
> to display that.  I think there's a ruby graphing gem... -- theres
> gdchart, but nothing matches svg which I'd have expected.

I'll do charting later. :-) It'll make more sense when there is more
data to work with. I'll end up using SWF/XML charts when I do

> These are minor issues, but hopefully this is useful feedback.

Absolutely, keep it coming. I'm working on setting up a blog for the
site so I can provide updates and gather new feature requests. All in
due time - right now work is getting in the way ;-)

> Also the login: Is this tied in to Rubyforge or do I create a
> new login?  I'm getting rather too many of these.  Maybe there's
> a gem to manage that....

You're not the first person to mention this. OpenID is one option but
I am sure there are others. I'm not quite ready to tackle this yet,
but if enough people mention it I might. Also, if Mephisto supports
OpenID (so I can use it) then I would probably do it rather quickly.

Anthony Eden