[Rubygems-developers] Gemtacular.com

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Thu Jan 4 14:22:22 EST 2007

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Anthony Eden wrote:

> Hey all, I've just put up the first release of a site I created called
> http://gemtacular.com/ . Currently it updates once every hour and
> grabs the latest rubyforge rubygems.yaml file, brings it into a
> database and then makes it searchable, makes Gems rateable, sorts by
> most recent, most popular and by name.

Given the rave reviews I've got round to looking at this.
I'm impressed: useful functionality, very accessible.
If I were to make any changes to the style I'd only change the
light grey to white to improve contrast, and increase the size
of the small text (rated, date).

So the next thing I did was play with the search:

I put in text and got a number of entries, the first of which was
called Text. It has a description: "A collection of text algorithms".
So I click on the link and get:

Text
http://text.rubyforge.org/
0.0/5 Stars

    * Currently 0.0/5 Stars.

Log in to rate.

OK, so I click on that URL...and remain on the same page.
Also, I'd have expected that page (http://gemtacular.com/gems/Text)
to have the description on it, but it doesn't seem to .

It might be useful to give some stats for the rating, since there
are only 6 possible ratings maybe a barchart would be a good way
to display that.  I think there's a ruby graphing gem... -- theres
gdchart, but nothing matches svg which I'd have expected.

These are minor issues, but hopefully this is useful feedback.

Also the login: Is this tied in to Rubyforge or do I create a
new login?  I'm getting rather too many of these.  Maybe there's
a gem to manage that....

        Thank you,
        Hugh