[Rubygems-developers] Gemtacular.com

Rob Muhlestein rob at muhlestein.net
Thu Jan 4 11:45:33 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 15:56 -0500, Anthony Eden wrote:
> Hey all, I've just put up the first release of a site I created called
> http://gemtacular.com/ . Currently it updates once every hour and
> grabs the latest rubyforge rubygems.yaml file, brings it into a
> database and then makes it searchable, makes Gems rateable, sorts by
> most recent, most popular and by name.

This is fantastic! I knew ruby community could beat CPAN.

> Hopefully this will help spread the awareness of what gems are out
> there and will continue to encourage people to use gems as the means
> of deploying Ruby libraries.
> At some point here I'll add in support for more of the meta data
> contained in the gemspec, support for other repos (outside of
> rubyforge) and links to generated docs.
> Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Is there any effort underway to integrate something like a
community-grid of testers and results such as on CPAN? I know it is new,
but would something like that be valuable? [googlizing didn't reveal

Also, could the GEM YAML files attribute somehow be mined to show
potential GEM file and namespace conflicts, maybe even with a query for
gem writers to use to ensure the GEM they are creating, at least at that
moment, doesn't containing any files that would clobber those of other
gems. Food for thought...love to help once I'm more up to speed (which I
am working on everyday).

Thanks again,

Rob Muhlestein