[Rubygems-developers] [call for participation] - gem dependencies maven-like project specs

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 08:13:44 EST 2007

On 2/9/07, Chad Woolley <thewoolleyman at gmail.com> wrote:
[major snippage]
> The whole platform issue needs to be resolved soon too (is it
> 'i386-mswin32' or 'mswin32'?)

This is, I think, a Ruby issue. I suspect that the answer is no (for the
same reason no one uses VS2005, yet), but has anyone successfully
compiled for Win64? What's the tag that will be used for that?

Platform needs to be handled intelligently overall:
  - *-mswin32 would theoretically mean something that would work on any
	architecture that runs Win32. IIRC, WinCE reports itself as Win32.
  - *-mswin* would theoretically mean something that would work on
	either Win32 or Win64.
  - i386-mswin32 would mean something that works only on 386-class
	instructions running Win32.

For OS X, I'd like to see how Ruby is supposed to work with Universal
builds (e.g., something that's both powerpc-darwin8 and i686-darwin8).
(It'll be interesting to see what Apple has done with Leopard's version
of Ruby.)

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com * http://www.halostatue.ca/