[Rubygems-developers] Questions on 1.0.0 on JRuby

Stephen Bannasch stephen.bannasch at deanbrook.org
Wed Dec 26 23:56:17 EST 2007

>On Dec 26, 2007 5:31 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter at sun.com> wrote:
>> Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>> > 1. jgem?
>> >
>> > I saw this during the 1.0.0 install:
>> >
>> > install -c -m 0755 /tmp/gem /Users/headius/NetBeansProjects/jruby/bin/jgem
>> >
>> > Why jgem? We've been shipping with just 'gem'.
>> I'd still like to know why this is the case. We don't want to ship
>> RubyGems as "jgem" in JRuby. If anything, we might call it "jem", but I
>> strongly prefer just leaving it as "gem".
>
>Wouldn't then jruby and ruby installations conflict?

Yes, unless the installations are managed correctly -- they will both install various executable programs with the same names.

This has not been a problem for me. When I am working in jruby the first element in PATH is set to be: <jruby_home>/bin.

When I am working in MRI the first element in PATH is /usr/local/bin (my 1.8.6 MRI is installed in /usr/local).

When I am working in 1.9 everything lives somewhere else.

I think I have four or five different ruby installs -- all with different gem environments.

In general while working in jruby all the standard ruby commands just work.

Right now there is a problem installing platform-specific gems like mongrel and hpricot but I don't know if that is a jruby, gems, or gemspec issue. See:

  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-1771