[Rubygems-developers] gem and jruby problem, can't convert YAML::JvYAML::Map into String

Stephen Bannasch stephen.bannasch at deanbrook.org
Sun Dec 23 14:59:45 EST 2007

At 2:06 PM -0500 12/23/07, Stephen Bannasch wrote:
>I'm trying to track down why I can't install mongrel with gem on trunk JRuby.
>see related bug reports for more detail:
>In doing this I've downloaded mongrel from svn and am getting this error:
>   can't convert YAML::JvYAML::Map into String
>     ... jruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/package.rb:738:in `add_file'

This error was in JRuby's yaml parsing and has been fixed as of r5344.

So I can download or build the mongrel gem manually and install it using JRuby.

However trying to do a gem install from the rubgems repository still doesn't process the platform correctly and fails trying to build fastthread (which should only be built on MRI).

I don't know yet whether the problem is with:

* jruby's slightly patched version of gems 1.0.0
* the mongrel gem itself
* ???