[Rubygems-developers] LOAD_PATH Ordering with Ruby 1.9 Gems

Jim Weirich jim.weirich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 09:39:11 EST 2007

When I try to override the installed rake in Ruby 1.9 with a gem, I
get the following error:

/Users/jim/local/ruby19/bin/rake:19:in `load': Is a directory - /
	from /Users/jim/local/ruby19/bin/rake:19:in `<main>'

It seems that the 'lib' directory in the rake gem preceeds the 'bin'
directory, so loading 'rake' will find 'lib/rake' and complain about
that.  Pre-1.9 versions of gem put the bin directory first, so that
load 'rake' would find that.

Was this a deliberate change?

(Actually, I never liked the whole idea of including the bin
directory in the load path in the first place.  Seems to me that we
could have made the executable stub a wee bit smarter ... but I

-- Jim Weirich
-- jim.weirich at gmail.com