[Rubygems-developers] [ANN] RubyGems 1.0.0
drbrain at segment7.net
Thu Dec 20 03:33:07 EST 2007
Release 1.0.0 fixes several bugs.
Major New Features Include:
* RubyGems warns about various problems with gemspecs during gem
* More-consistent versioning for the RubyGems software
Other Changes Include:
* Fixed various bugs and problems with installing gems on Windows
* Fixed using `gem server` for installing gems
* Various operations are even more verbose with --verbose
* Built gems are now backwards compatible with 0.9.4
* Improved detection of RUBYOPT loading rubygems
* `ruby setup.rb` now has a --help option
* Gem::Specification#bindir is now respected on installation
* Executable stubs can now be installed to match ruby's name, so if
installed as 'ruby18', foo_exec will be installed as 'foo_exec18'
* `gem unpack` can now unpack into a specific directory with --target
* OpenSSL is no longer required by default
Deprecations and Deletions:
* Kernel#require_gem has been removed
* Executables without a shebang will not be wrapped in a future
may cause such executables to fail to operate on installation
* Gem::Platform constants other than RUBY and CURRENT have been removed
* Gem::RemoteInstaller was removed
* Gem::Specification#test_suite_file and #test_suite_file= are
favor of #test_file and #test_file=
* Gem::Specification#autorequire= has been deprecated
* Time::today will be removed in a future version
== How can I get RubyGems?
NOTE: If you have installed RubyGems using a package you may want to
new RubyGems through the same packaging system.
If you have a recent version of RubyGems (0.8.5 or later), then all
you need to do is:
$ gem update --system (you might need to be admin/root)
(Note: You may have to run the command twice if you have any previosly
installed rubygems-update gems).
If you have an older version of RubyGems installed, then you can still
do it in two steps:
$ gem install rubygems-update (again, might need to be admin/root)
$ update_rubygems (... here too)
If you don't have any gems install, there is still the pre-gem
approach to getting software ... doing it manually:
1. DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126
2. UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
3. INSTALL WITH: ruby setup.rb (you may need admin/root privilege)
Keep those gems coming!
-- Jim & Chad & Eric (for the RubyGems team)
More information about the Rubygems-developers