[Rubygems-developers] Still issues with mswin32 as platform

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Mon Dec 17 20:25:23 EST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 04:13 AM, Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2007 8:04 AM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Guys,
>> I'm sad to inform that latest test with trunk (revision 1551) still
>> fails with gems that uses 'mswin32' platform.
>> To better show the problem, uploaded a video to google:
>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5029229715132035200&hl=en
>> I think google made the video quality low, so currently I'm uploading
>> it to my host and will post a followup with the link (less than 1
>> hour).
> The higher resolution videos:
> http://mmediasys.com/rubygems/rubygems_behavior-2.mp4 (12MB)
> http://mmediasys.com/rubygems/rubygems_behavior-2.mov (112MB)
> Still need to check what codecs works cross platform, and also it
> seems QT7 Animation codec don't work so well on windows :-P

At 04:11, where `gem install pkg\...` doesn't work, but `cd pkg; gem
install ...` works may be due to Dir glob usage in lib/rubygems/

Does Dir['pkg\*'] work properly in Windows from irb?

Does `gem install pkg/...` work?

> Gem::Platform::WIN32 is badly broken.  (for peace of mind, why don't
> we remove it?)

Agreed.  If I recall correctly, the WIN32 constant is only needed by
gem authors, so having a missing constant will force them to switch to

I will do the same with the remaining constants, and add a
const_missing that tells gem authors how to upgrade.