[Rubygems-developers] Question on GEM_PATH

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 02:05:45 EST 2007

When I use GEM_PATH to add an additional local repository to be used,
what dirs must be in that repository?  gems?  specifications? docs?
cache? others?

Also, a related question.  If I have a source checkout of a gem
locally, can I somehow put it on my GEM_PATH to be loaded, even if it
doesn't follow the standard repository layout?  The use case would be
to perform updates on a dependency gem, and have those updates
immediately usable by a separate local app, without having to actually
do the step to build and install the gem to a local repository.