[Rubygems-developers] gem server problems in 0.9.5

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Thu Dec 13 16:37:20 EST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007, at 24:30 AM, Chad Woolley wrote:
> I'm having problems running the 0.9.5 gem server.  I have a directory
> of stub gems for testing that works fine with the gem_server <= 0.9.4.
> It's here:
>
> http://geminstaller.rubyforge.org/svn/tags/rel_0.2.4/spec/fixture/
> gems/
>
> I can run these commands successfully in 0.9.4 to start a server and
> list all the gems in this dir:
>
> $ gem_server -d .../gems/ -p 9909
> $ gem list --remote --source=http://localhost:9909
>
> However, in 0.9.5, I get errors trying to do this same thing
>
> First, I have to delete the local cache because of this command
> failing previously
> $ rm -rf ~/.gem
>
> Then, I generate the index from the gem dir (although the error still
> happens even if I don't)
> $ gem generate_index

`gem generate_index` is used to generating static files for use w/o
gem server.  It won't affect `gem server`

> Then, I start the server:
> $ gem server --dir=.../gems/ --port=9909
> Starting gem server on http://localhost:9909/
>
> Then, I get error listing some of the gems:
> $ gem list --remote --source=http://localhost:9909
>
> [...]
>
> I notice that the only thing that is generated in the /quick dir is
> index and index.rz.  This seems to be the problem, since the gem list
> command is looking for other files under /quick.

`gem server` probably won't show most files since they're generated by
a WEBrick handler.  I don't think the directory indexes are set up to
list things.

> Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

You certainly shouldn't get 500s.  I'll look into it, but if you can
run with --debug it might give a backtrace.