[Rubygems-developers] Beta Time?

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Thu Aug 23 22:10:10 EDT 2007

I think its time to release a beta and have people beat on the new
DependencyInstaller.

There are major changes in all areas of RubyGems, and I think this is
a good time to get feedback on them.  I'll be leaving for a 2+ week
vacation on Monday, so this will be a good time to have the beta
floating around.

Outstanding issues:
* rake bug with packaging platform gems (reported with Jim)
* `gem outdated` and `gem update` still don't handle platforms correctly
* old rubygems scripts (gem_server, gemri, etc) are not cleaned up
(do we want this yet?)

Select Changes:
* major refactorings in all areas
* RubyGems knows its platform, so `gem install` will Just Work
* gems in a diamond dependency tree with multiple versions will only
be installed once
* platforms can no longer be Strings, unless they are legacy platforms
* Gem::Platform::CURRENT now works as expected
* `gem install -i` makes sure all dependencies are installed
* processing the source cache takes less memory
* bulk update threshold can be specified
* `gem env` now has more diagnostic information
* gems can now depend on a specific RubyGems version
* --proxy now supports HTTP basic authentication
* require 'rubygems' now loads less code (no openssl, for example)
* sources gem is gone, replaced by built-in defaults
* exact gem names are match in various places making installation of
the right gem easier
* `gem query` (list) respects its defaults (don't print details)
* mkrf extensions are supported