[Rubygems-developers] Any experiences managing gems without root access?

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 06:16:34 EDT 2007

On 7/25/07, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby at zenspider.com> wrote:
> I don't think that is right. GEM_HOME seems to be ... sketchy. I
> think you want GEM_PATH and to use the -i flag on 'gem install'... I
> got it working once and have a transcript with Jim where I worked it
> out. I plan on writing it up because it'll really help consultants.

OK, this is stumping me.  I'd like to use a non-root user, without
using sudo, to be able to

1. setup/install the rubygems dist from scratch to an alternate
location for which the user has write access
2. install/uninstall gems from that location
3. tell rubygems at application runtime to only use gems from that
location (only stick stuff gems from there on my load path)

Should that all be possible?  If not, is any subset possible?  Any
detailed commands would be great...

Thanks,
Chad