[Rubygems-developers] Recognizing Platforms

Alexey Verkhovsky alexey.verkhovsky at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 18:36:12 EDT 2007

On 8/19/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> Here's my proposal for how we recognize platforms.

Are you thinking about integrating with native package managers?

This would be rather useful if 'gem install' could take care of
installing the 100+1 native dependencies of rmagick, for example, or
check that the right version of glibc is present on this linux. On the
flipside, it would have to know more than "it's a linux".

Maybe the right way is to provide some simple hook for a native
package manager, and let various Linux flavors create an
implementation.

--
Alexey Verkhovsky
CruiseControl.rb [http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com]