[Rubygems-developers] Slow gem Update

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Sun Aug 19 02:49:13 EDT 2007

On Aug 18, 2007, at 23:21, Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Aug 18, 2007, at 14:28, Farhan Ahmad wrote:
>>     I have been looking into why 'gem update' has been taking hours
>> and hours on my computer to complete.  Given that it's only a 700Mhz
>> machine with 512MB RAM I still didn't think that would qualify it
>> for such
>> slow updates.
> How much RAM is it using?  I see about 120MB max with a bulk update
> on OS X.

Second data point, ~20 minutes and ~70MB resident on a machine that
should be at least an order of magnitude, possibly two, slower than

CPU: Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by National Semi (266.66-MHz 586-
class CPU)
   Origin = "Geode by NSC"  Id = 0x540  Stepping = 0
real memory  = 134217728 (128 MB)
avail memory = 126078976 (120 MB)

$ /usr/bin/time -l gem list -r

Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org

      1223.66 real       508.13 user        62.21 sys
      71700  maximum resident set size
          3  average shared memory size
      34417  average unshared data size
        127  average unshared stack size