[Rubygems-developers] Slow gem Update

Farhan Ahmad farhan at thebitguru.com
Sat Aug 18 17:28:28 EDT 2007

    I have been looking into why 'gem update' has been taking hours and
hours on my computer to complete.  Given that it's only a 700Mhz machine
with 512MB RAM I still didn't think that would qualify it for such slow
updates.  Also, a normal system update, i.e. ArchLinux's pacman updates,
takes only a minute to download and parse.  So, I started playing around
with the source and boiled everything down to the YAML.load call in
source_index.rb.  Later I found out that this was already being
discussed in a few posts [0][1] on this mailing list.  Ryan D., thanks a
lot for removing the reduce_specs call [1] because that helped with the
performance.  Unfortunately, the problem is still there.

    I have looked through the mailing list archive and seen some other
threads but can't figure out where this issue currently stands.  Is
there already a plan for rectifying this?

[0] http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2007-May/002801.html
[1] http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2007-May/002807.html