[Rubygems-developers] Platform selection in gem install

Alexey Verkhovsky alexey.verkhovsky at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 18:15:31 EDT 2007

On 8/14/07, Austin Ziegler <halostatue at gmail.com> wrote:
> And the Windows solution?

There should be one, of course.

There is no good place in Windows to keep system-wide overrides, other
than the registry. So, either you start dealing with the registry
(shudders), pick an arbitrary place inside rubygems directory, or do
not provide system-wide overrides at all.

> The advantage to sources.gem is that it's in
> the same place that Rubygems itself is.

Which is an arbitrary place for configuration to be in.

I need to sit down and write a RubyWorks documentation piece on the
subject of "connecting your production system straight to
gems.rubyforge.org is reckless, which is why we connect it to
rubyworks.rubyforge.org instead, but really you should have staged
gems deployment via a local repository". And sources.gem plus "gem
sources" will take many words to explain, where a list of URLs in
/etc/rubygems would be perfectly obvious.

Alexey Verkhovsky
CruiseControl.rb [http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com]
RubyWorks [http://rubyworks.thoughtworks.com]