[Rubygems-developers] ID3Lib 0.5.0 problems installing on FreeBSD

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Thu Aug 2 22:11:34 EDT 2007

On Aug 2, 2007, at 13:16, Lance Carlson wrote:

> Gems is not finding my id3.h file which is clearly inside of /usr/
> local/include/id3.h. When I try to install I get the following
> message:
>
>> sudo gem install id3lib-ruby
>
> Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
>     ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> ruby extconf.rb install id3lib-ruby
> checking for main() in -lstdc++... yes
> checking for main() in -lz... yes
> checking for id3.h... no
> You must have id3lib installed in order to use id3lib-ruby.
> *** extconf.rb failed ***
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
> necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
> details.  You may need configuration options.
>
> Provided configuration options:
>         --with-opt-dir
>         --without-opt-dir
>         --with-opt-include
>         --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
>         --with-opt-lib
>         --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
>         --with-make-prog
>         --without-make-prog
>         --srcdir=.
>         --curdir
>         --ruby=/usr/local/bin/ruby18
>         --with-stdc++lib
>         --without-stdc++lib
>         --with-zlib
>         --without-zlib
>
> any ideas? TIA!

This isn't the right mailing list.  This list is for RubyGems itself,
not for support or help install a gem with RubyGems (unless RubyGems
itself is blowing up).

You'll need to contact the author of id3lib-ruby to find out the
correct options to pass to get it to pick up files installed in /usr/
local.  gem install id3lib-ruby -- --with-opt-dir=/usr/local might work.