[Rubygems-developers] Platform Specification and Auto-selecting the Platform

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at sun.com
Wed Apr 25 15:33:03 EDT 2007

Eric Hodel wrote:
> It should all be in Config::CONFIG under the TARGET_* values.  Ruby
> implementations should put sensible values in there.  (I've already
> talked with Charles Nutter on this, and I think they've changed
> JRuby's values to be more autoconf-compatible.)

Yeah, we finally got this changed in the 0.9.9 release. It makes a best
attempt to match the format of Ruby's values (like i386-java1.6 for
arch, or just java1.6 format for when the processor doesn't matter (like
  the java version used to build something). This means we've managed to
eliminate the flat "java" versions in favor of ones that provide a bit
more platform information, but others couldn't be corrected (i.e. the
JVM's "nice" names for operating systems and vendors).

The values are described in my comment here:

If there are suggestions on how to improve any of these, now's the time
to let us know. We're pushing toward 1.0 now.

- Charlie