[Rubygems-developers] Reviewing the Tattle Data (was RubyGems plaform thread)

Patrick Hurley phurley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 09:11:39 EDT 2007

On 4/25/07, Jim Weirich <jim at weirichhouse.org> wrote:
> I think that the position we should take is that if you want that level
> of optimization, compile it yourself. If you are making a gem for
> general distribution, compile it at a i386 level for broad
> compatibility.

Couple of thoughts:

1. Other than embedded systems (where compiling is a common
requirement) who really has a 386 system around? And 486 optimizations
(more about code ordering than opcodes) helps all of the recent
architectures -- so I would vote for using 486 as the standard build
level.

2. Right now the platform names are coming from rbconfig//autoconf. To
require/encourage people to distribute a 486 (or 386) get, they would
need to use a ruby built at that level or we would need to provide
tools to assist.

pth