[Rubygems-developers] Reviewing the Tattle Data (was RubyGems plaform thread)

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Tue Apr 24 22:13:27 EDT 2007

Eric Hodel wrote:
 > On Apr 23, 2007, at 19:14, Jim Weirich wrote:
 >
 >> I haven't seen the results of tattle yet (perhaps Chad would like
 >> to share the gathered data)
 >
 > Its downloadable from: http://tattle.rubygarden.org/

Thanks.

Going over the tattle data is interesting.  And it raises a number of
questions.

(1) Do we need to differentiate between the various ix86 hardware
architectures (e.g. i386, i486, i586, i686)?  If not, fine.  If so, then
when choosing among available platformed varients, a i686 platform
should be able to choose any of the iX86 variants, but a i486 would only
be able to choose between i386 and i486 variants.  (Is that correct?)

In any case, X86_64 would have to be distinct from all the others.

(2) What's up with Darwin8.8.1 stuff.  My Mac claims to be 10.4.9, but
Ruby is Darwin8.8.1.  Is the 8.8.1 the BSD version, not the Mac OS version?

(3) Sheesh, 17% of the respondents are running RubyGems 0.8.11.  Just
haven't upgraded?  ... or technical issues with later version causing
problems?  (inquiring minds want to know).

(4) Woah ... the prefix data looks a little revealing.  Perhaps that
shouldn't be on the download page (i.e. I now know where one prominent
JRuby developer keeps his JRuby installation).

(5) I'm guessing that 'target' is the platform Ruby is intended to run
on and 'host' is the platform where it was compiled.  Is that right?

--
-- Jim Weirich      jim at weirichhouse.org     http://onestepback.org
-- In theory, practice and theory are the same.